The purpose of this qualification is to provide the learner with the skills, competence, knowledge and understanding to effectively fulfil an accounts clerk type role in local government. This enables learners to develop work relevant competence, as an aid to employment and career progression. It also enables learners to progress further, using the excellent progression routes on to the registered Certificate, Advanced Certificate and Diploma levels of the AT Diploma in Accounting and also ultimately, the ACCA or CIMA qualifications or SAICA membership. The qualification also allows learners access to lifelong professional development and support, through the opportunity to take up full membership of the AT, the largest professional body for accounting technicians. The qualification benefits employers in local government as the qualification is tailored specifically to their needs and they can have confidence in the ability of trained staff and can recruit or promote accounting technicians, knowing that they have proved ability to do the required work.
Those holding the qualification can work in a number of positions, including accounts clerk, wages clerk, accounts assistant, sales ledger clerk, tax assistant, bookkeeper. Many will be able to progress to become more senior in the accounts field and move on to hold positions such as Financial Controller and Accounts Manager.
It is a unique qualification package that comprises both accounting theory and a practical component and allows learners to develop and apply their skills in their own work environment.
Outcomes of the Qualification
The AT Local Government Accounting Certificate develops skills in these areas:
- Recording Income and Receipts
- Process receipts
- Process documents relating to goods and services supplied
- Making and Recording Payments
- Process payments
- Process documents relating to goods and services received
- Working with Computers
- Maintain the security of data
- Use computer systems and software
- Professional Ethics
- Develop, maintain and apply ethics in employer/employee situations
- Apply general principles and procedures for ethical compliance expected within the accountancy sector
- Accounting Work Skills
- The terminology and context used within each of the above skills areas are tailored so that they are specific to the work of municipalities.
- Perform effectively in the workplace